Fireworks display in Ely halted early tonight after firework explodes in man’s face
- Credit: Archant
A public firework display in Ely tonight ended early after a firework is thought to have exploded in a man’s face.
An eye witness described seeing what he thinks was one of the organisers “lighting what must have been a faulty firework – although that is my personal opinion”.
He said: “The display started off extremely well however the display was unable to finish due to a horrific accident.
“The firework didn’t seem to have a delay due to the fact it exploded in the man’s face.
“An ambulance was called and arrived shortly after the incident.”
Others have taken to social media to explain what they saw as the firework display at Cherry Hill was under way.
“My family and I watched this man hit the ground as the fireworks knocked hi helmet off,” she said.”
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 4 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 5 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 6 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 9 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
“My daughter shouted man down and a steward heard her and went running over .In the 25 years I have been to this display there has never been an accident.
“My thoughts and prayers go out to this man and family doing his job and I wish him a speedy recovery.”
Another woman said her husband, a doctor, was with her at the event and he went to help. She said the injured man has been taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital.