First birthday for dog service
FENLAND District Council s dog warden service is celebrating its first birthday this month, and there is a lot to celebrate. Before the council set up the service irresponsible dog owners were letting their pets foul in public spaces with impunity, creati
FENLAND District Council's dog warden service is celebrating its first birthday this month, and there is a lot to celebrate.
Before the council set up the service irresponsible dog owners were letting their pets foul in public spaces with impunity, creating a deeply unpleasant environment for other dog owners and the public.
In the last year, the dog warden service has rescued 200 stray dogs and 60 per cent of them have been returned to their grateful owners. All but two of the remaining dogs have been nursed back to full health in the council's contract kennels and found loving homes when they were well enough to be released. Only two dogs were too ill and had to be put down.
In addition, dog warden Terry Ball has been kept busy using the letter of the law to clamp down on owners who fail to pick up after their dogs. The service has also operated a regular programme of school visits, educating the young people about being responsible dog owners.
You may also want to watch:
Council surveys throughout the year have shown that the presence of the dog warden service has dramatically reduced the incidence of dog fouling in public places.
Councillor Peter Murphy, portfolio holder for Streets Ahead, said: "The dog warden service has been a spectacular success. We are delighted that stray dogs are being reunited with their owners or found alternative homes and it is heartening to note that the incidence of dog fouling is declining in many of the former hotspots.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 4 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 5 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 9 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens