Traffic diverted after serious collision on A141 by pass at March
- Credit: PHOTO: Harry Rutter
Police are still at the scene of a major collision on the outskirts of March today that has caused the closure of the A141 bypass in both directions.
Early reports suggest that a car has ploughed into a stationary car and trailer parked by the side of the road.
The resulting collision has seen at least one person seriously injured who has been taken to hospital.
Both cars have left the carriageway – in ditches on opposite sides of the road.
Emergency services remain at the scene after the collision near the Gaul Road junction with the A141.
The A141 is closed in both directions and is likely to remain so for some time.
Police are urgently advising motorists to avoid the area if at all possible. Many drivers are looking for alternative routes and traffic through the town centre is congested in all directions.
- 1 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 2 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 3 Over 6,000 homes approved across Cambridgeshire this year
- 4 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 5 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 6 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
- 7 Woman on trial over death of Louis Thorold ‘had worsening dementia’
- 8 Mayor's visit inspires Fenmen to cup thrashing
- 9 Family pay tribute to 'hard worker' father killed in A14 crash
- 10 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
The AA Traffic bulletins are reporting that the accident happened between B1101 Wimblington Road and B1099 Wisbech Road and the incident is affecting travel between Chatteris and Ring’s End.
Cambridgeshire Police tweeted: “Police, Fire and Ambulance dealing with RTC on A141 March at Junction with Gaul Road. Please avoid the area if possible.”
Cambs Travel News tweeted: “#A141 #March - slow traffic in both directions due to a collision at the junction with Gaul Road.
“Please use alternative route if possible.”
“Delays remain on the #A141 at #March in both directions due to a collision at the junction with Gaul Road.
“Emergency services are on scene.
“The B1101 through March is slow due to traffic diverting.”