First Tour of Cambridgeshire announced where elite racers and cycling fanatics will get to race together
- Credit: Archant
Cycling fanatics will get to rub shoulders with elite riders when the first ever Tour of Cambridgeshire is held in June 6-7.
The event will include a time trial for elite amateur cyclists and a 132km Gran Fondo road race with a maximum field of 10,000.
The Gran Fondo format, which has never before been seen in the UK, is similar to that of a marathon, where professionals are at the front and everyone else is behind.
Cycling is going from strength to strength in Cambridgeshire - The Tour De France passed through the county in July and The Circuit of the Fens, launched last year, has proved a roaring success with thousands of people packing Whittlesey town centre to watch the action unfold.
On June 6, the 28km time trial, which starts and finishes at Peterborough Arena, takes place.
You may also want to watch:
It will feature many of the world’s top amateur cyclists, who will bid to qualify for the UCI World Cycling Tour Amateur Road World Championship.
The following day, riders will set off from Peterborough Arena and pedal through Fenland as they complete the Gran Fondo. The route takes in Whittlesey, Eastrea, Benwick and Doddington before heading into South Cambridgeshire and finishing in Peterborough.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
There will be two food stops on the route and the race will be supported with mechanical assistance and medical cover.
The overall winning man and woman will receive a first prize of £1,500 in each event.
A Tour of Cambridgeshire spokesman said: “A revolution is about to take place in UK cycling and this is your chance to be part of it.
“Held on fully closed roads the weekend incorporates the first ever authentic continental style Gran Fondo mass participation race and ride on English shores.
“Whether you want to race or to be part of UK cycling history by having a leisurely ride on closed roads, you can participate and feel the experience of a pro rider.
“This style of racing is totally new in the UK. All riders will be timed using state of the art transponders and their position will be awarded on time.
“Behind those wanting to race will be a mass participation event, much like marathon running where the professionals are at the front and everyone else behind, where you can race your friends or simply enjoy a safe day out on closed roads enjoying the countryside.”