VE Day 75: Colourful tribute to this most memorable of occasions
- Credit: © Terry Harris
Chatteris is a town that commits, demonstrates passion and manifests true community spirit, none more so than with its determination to commemorate VE Day 75.
Townsfolk embraced the challenge of lockdown to ensure the significance of the occasion did not go unnoticed.
Bunting, decorations, memorabilia and a VE Day garden tribute and even a former telephone kiosk provide evidence of a town not about to forget this historic moment.
“In memory of VE Day and all it represents,” says the Cross Keys hotel on the Facebook page. “Never again, and never forget.”
Garden parties are planned across Chatteris for the actual Bank Holiday – the lock down equivalent of a street party, say organisers of the VE Day celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
What started in Chatteris a few weeks ago with a suggestion to “flood the town with red, white and blue bunting” to mark VE Day has become an ide taken up by many families across the town. What we didn’t have time to see on our brief visit to the town on Thursday has been substantially added to by the many photos shared to us of individual family efforts.
Our thanks to everyone who allowed us to use their VE Day photos from Chatteris to provide a fitting commemoration of the 75th anniversary of Victory in Europe and the end of the last war.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 4 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 5 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 6 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 7 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 8 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 9 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend