Five candidates put themselves forward for election to Fenland District Council
FORMER Conservative Cabinet member Phil Webb will do battle as an independent in a by-election later this month for a seat on Fenland District Council.
Mr Webb will contest the seat for Staithe ward, Wisbech, against David Hodgson (Conservative), Robert McLaren (Liberal Democrat), Will Schooling (UKIP) and John White (Labour).
He was portfolio holder for Fenland’s profile but was de-selected by the Conservative Party prior to the council elections earlier this year. He stood as an independent in Elm and Christchurch, the ward he served for four years, but was not re-elected.
Mr Schooling contested the Staithe seat in May’s election, polling 88 votes. Mr McLaren stood as a Lib Dem candidate in Clarkson Ward, Wisbech, but was beaten by Carol Cox.
A vacancy in Staithe Ward on Wisbech Town Council will also be filled with a by election on September 22. It will be contested by Mr Schooling, Mr White, Nicholas Smith (Lib Dem) and Garry Tibbs (Conservative).
You may also want to watch:
Both by elections come following the death of Councillor Roger Green, former editor of the Wisbech Standard, who was killed in a road collision in July.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 9 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens