Five Fenland students dig deep to renovate communal garden for sheltered housing scheme
RESIDENTS of a sheltered housing scheme in March celebrated the opening of a newly renovated communal garden - thanks to the efforts of five teenagers.
The five boys - students at Neale-Wade Community College, in March, and Cromwell Community College, in Chatteris - spent every Thursday throughout the summer term landscaping and gardening at Fleming Court.
Calling themselves the “Cromwade Crew”, the Year 9 students constructed and painted flower troughs, put up garden benches and laid paving as part of the work experience placement with Roddons Housing Association.
A cakes and coffee morning was held last Wednesday to allow the proud youngsters to present their work to residents, teachers and Roddons staff.
Wendy Coles, Community and Projects Officer for Roddons, who presented each student with a certificate, said: “Following the Team Thomas project with youngsters in Wisbech last year, we are really pleased to be working with young people from two other schools in Fenland.
You may also want to watch:
“This type of initiative gives them the chance of some work experience which they might not otherwise have.
“Roddons Housing Association is passionate about enhancing the life chances of residents and projects like this have a positive effect on everyone involved.”
- 1 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 2 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 3 Serious crash blocks main road into Fen town
- 4 Chatteris drug dealers handed community orders
- 5 Home next to disused railway bridge gets the go-ahead
- 6 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 7 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 8 On hottest day of the year hospital 'put me in a store room for over two hours'
- 9 Disgruntled dog owners fall foul of Wetherspoon's dog ban
- 10 Friends pay tribute to ‘great young lad’ who drowned at Bawsey Pits
It was the fourth time Roddons had run a work experience placement for Fenland pupils, with 16 young people having completed the programme.