Five Fenland students dig deep to renovate communal garden for sheltered housing scheme
RESIDENTS of a sheltered housing scheme in March celebrated the opening of a newly renovated communal garden - thanks to the efforts of five teenagers.
The five boys - students at Neale-Wade Community College, in March, and Cromwell Community College, in Chatteris - spent every Thursday throughout the summer term landscaping and gardening at Fleming Court.
Calling themselves the “Cromwade Crew”, the Year 9 students constructed and painted flower troughs, put up garden benches and laid paving as part of the work experience placement with Roddons Housing Association.
A cakes and coffee morning was held last Wednesday to allow the proud youngsters to present their work to residents, teachers and Roddons staff.
Wendy Coles, Community and Projects Officer for Roddons, who presented each student with a certificate, said: “Following the Team Thomas project with youngsters in Wisbech last year, we are really pleased to be working with young people from two other schools in Fenland.
You may also want to watch:
“This type of initiative gives them the chance of some work experience which they might not otherwise have.
“Roddons Housing Association is passionate about enhancing the life chances of residents and projects like this have a positive effect on everyone involved.”
- 1 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 2 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 3 Dr Nik Johnson elected Mayor of Cambridgeshire and Peterborough.
- 4 NHS doctor ‘banned from describing himself as ‘Dr’ on ballot paper’
- 5 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 6 Expect 'honesty and integrity' says new police and crime commissioner
- 7 Connor tops poll as Tories retained Fenland dominance on county council
- 8 Warner Bros spotted filming new Batman movie at Burghley House
- 9 Election 2021: Wisbech West tops poll for lowest turnout
- 10 Drink driver TWICE rammed off-duty officers' car
It was the fourth time Roddons had run a work experience placement for Fenland pupils, with 16 young people having completed the programme.