Five men and boy arrested following Wetherspoon pub assault: policeman and dog handler injured
FIVE men and a boy were arrested following a serious assault on a police constable and his dog in a Fenland town.
The police constable, a dog handler, was sent to Whittlesey following reports of a fight taking place at about 1.30am on Sunday at the recently opened J D Wetherspoon pub, The George.
Four men had been thrown out of the pub and had assaulted four members of staff, leaving them with minor injuries.
After arriving at the scene the officer followed the suspects, asking them to stop, but they ignored him.
A short while later the men were joined by a group of about 20 people and they turned on the officer near AA Car Sales in Eastgate.
The officer and his dog were kicked and punched repeatedly until more police officers arrived and the crowd was dispersed and arrests made.
Neither the officer or his dog were seriously hurt but the officer suffered cuts and bruises and has had to have days off to recover, while the dog was left shaken.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 10 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
DC Tade Toseland, who is investigating, said: “This was a cowardly attack which involved a lot of people and I would like to speak to anyone who was in the area at the time.
“The officer and his dog are still recovering from the attack and they were left very shaken. I would urge anyone with information to get in touch.”
Anyone with information should contact DC Toseland on 0345 456 456 4, or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.
Five men and a boy were arrested in connection with the incident:
The men - three from Whittlesey aged 22, 20 and 26, a 51-year-old from Farcet and a 42-year-old - have been bailed to return to March Police Station on September 16.
The boy, aged 15 and from Whittlesey, was bailed to return to March Police Station on August 31.