Five simple winter checks for your vehicle this Christmas
- Credit: Archant
Now the weather is turning chillier, drivers are being advised to make some simple checks to their cars to avoid being stranded in cold or wet conditions.
Five simple regular checks to your car could prevent a breakdown or failure, says the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM).
It is recommending drivers check their car’s battery is fully charged and in good condition. If they are not sure, it’s recommended a new battery is fitted to the car ahead of the winter when there are more demands on the battery with lights, wipers, heating and heated seats.
Other vital checks are for coolant and anti-freeze, which help keep the engine cool and ward off ice forming inside the engine on freezing mornings. With the correct coolant and anti-freeze mixture, your engine will be protected.
The IAM also says drivers need to check oil levels every week to make sure the engine doesn’t run out, which could lead to a catastrophic failure and expensive repair bill.
You may also want to watch:
Lastly, the final item on every driver’s check list should be brake fluid. Don’t wait until the dash warning light comes on and instead keep an eye on it and top it up if the level drops as the brakes wear through use.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Man found dead in March
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 7 Every little helps for surprised shopper thanks to Tesco worker
- 8 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire