Flood warning closes North Bank in Whittlesey
- Credit: Archant
A flood warning has closed North Bank between Peterborough and Whittlesey.
The closure is between Bedford Cottages and Dog in a Doublet until further notice.
The warning follows heavy rain in Peterborough and Whittlesey overnight.
In an alert from the government flood information service, issued in the early hours of today (October 1), it reads: "Heavy rain over the last few days has caused river levels to rise on the River Nene.
"During periods of high tide the river will be unable to discharge into the sea, resulting in tide lock conditions.
You may also want to watch:
"This has led to localised flooding at North Bank Road. While the Flood Warning is in force, the local authority will close North Bank Road.
"Diversionary routes will be put in place and further updates will be available through local media."
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
A yellow weather warning from the Met Office for rain is in place today.
The warning took effect from 6am this morning and is set to run through until 8pm this evening.