Fly tippers dump cupboard, microwave and sofa in ‘no tipping’ zone at Fenton Way, Chatteris
- Credit: Archant
Cupboards, microwaves, sofas and various other household items have been dumped outside Fenton Way in Chatteris.
To make matters worse, there is a ‘No Tipping’ sign looking down on the mess.
The Cambs Times was alerted to the messy site by a reader who took the above photos.
Fenland District Council’s recently said the following about fly-tipping: “It has taken on extra enforcement powers enabling it to issue £300 fixed penalty notices to businesses that fail to produce proper waste transfer notes and to waste carriers found not to have the necessary licences.”
It has also installed warning signs in up to 30 places recognised as flytipping “hot spots” and is developing close links with other partners to track down offenders and take action against them.
Councillor Peter Murphy, FDC’s cabinet member responsible for the environment, said: “Flytipping is a problem that can only be effectively tackled by everyone - householders, businesses and the various statutory authorities - working closely together.
“The nature of flytipping means it is very difficult to catch offenders red-handed.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
“We are continuing to work hard to make people more aware of the issue and the part they can play in tackling it, as well as increasing surveillance and taking steps to secure more successful prosecutions.
“The power to issue these new fixed penalty notices further strengthens our hand”, he said.