FLYING HIGH: Cambridgeshire celebrates as Smith and Oldham help Britain to Olympic bronze
CAMBRIDGESHIRE was celebrating last night as Louis Smith and Sam Oldham helped Great Britain win its first Olympic team gymnastics medal for 100 years.
The duo, who are both members of Huntingdon Gym, joined Max Whitlock, Dan Purvis and Kristian Thomas to win a dramatic bronze for TeamGB.
But it was almost silver for the heroic gymnasts, who were originally judged to have pipped Japan to second place.
There were hearts in mouths at the North Greenwich Arena as the Japanese put in a protest in relation to their final score.
Boos echoed around the former Millennium Dome as Japan were moved above TeamGB on the scoreboard - but, for Smith, it was a bronze won and not a silver lost.
You may also want to watch:
He told the BBC: “It hasn’t sunk in yet, it’s unbelievable.
“Despite the protest and having the score changed, for us this is a dream come true.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 3 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 4 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 8 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 9 Squash club marks 40 years of competitions
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“To get a medal - a bronze medal - is unbelievable. Silver, bronze, it doesn’t matter.
“Our target was to come in the top five and enjoy the competition. We enjoyed it, it was fantastic, and we’ve got a bronze medal out of it.”
Smith had given TeamGB the best of starts with a fabulous first rotation on the pommel horse. His score of 15.966 was the best of any gymnast on the pommel horse in the team event.
But Oldham, Whitlock, Purvis and Thomas all played their parts in a magical performance - delivering the first team gymnastics medal since 1912, when rope climbing was still part of the event.
Smith now has individual gold to fight for in the pommel horse.