Food businesses must register - even if they only trade on Facebook

Food businesses must register

Food businesses must register - Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto

Local food businesses are being reminded that they have a legal duty to register with Fenland District Council.

With few exemptions, this includes people who operate from domestic premises, mobile units and those that trade via the internet and social media such as Facebook.

Food businesses must also advise the council of any significant changes to their operation. These include changes to the operator, name, address and food handling/processing activities.

The council has a programme of business support for new and existing companies and welcomes enquiries about compliance.

Registered businesses can also benefit from securing a rating under the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme (NFHRS) which more consumers are using the rating scheme when choosing where to buy food.

You may also want to watch:

Registration is free and simple. Forms can be downloaded from

Food businesses have the chance to improve their food safety management standards at a day-long training course on February 25.

Most Read

The course, run by Fenland District Council’s environmental health team, covers current legislation and all aspects of keeping food safe to eat. It costs £64 per person, including lunch, or £99 for businesses that send two delegates.

Successful delegates are awarded a nationally recognised certificate by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health.

To book places or get details of other environmental health training courses, call Dawn Sadler on 01354 654321 or email

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter