Former Cambs police sergeant jailed for 14 and half a years for rape, indecency with a child, and other sexual offences
- Credit: Archant
A Cambridgeshire police sergeant who admitted three counts of rape and 10 other serious sexual offences, was today jailed for 14 and a half years.
Nick Lidstone, 54, and sacked earlier this month by Cambs Police, was based at force headquarters at Huntingdon. He pleaded guilty to 13 offences at Norwich Crown Court last month and was sentenced this afternoon at the same court.
They were: three counts of rape, three counts of indecency with a child, two counts of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent, two counts of assault by penetration, one count of sexual assault, one count of indecent assault and one count of taking indecent photographs of a child.
He was arrested on June 26 and dismissed for gross misconduct on December 9 by the Chief Constable.
Deputy chief constable Alec Wood said: “The sentence handed out today reflects the horrendous nature of Lidstone’s crimes, which were committed over a prolonged period of time.
You may also want to watch:
“We want the public and our own employees to feel confident about raising concerns about the conduct of our officers and staff. We will always investigate these cases thoroughly and ensure any offenders are brought to justice.”
Lidstone pleaded not guilty to two counts of indecency with a child, two counts of indecent assault, one count of sexual assault and one count of assault by penetration and these will lie on file.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
Following last month’s trial Mr Wood said: “This was an appalling crime where the victim was put through a horrendous ordeal over a prolonged period and I welcome today’s guilty plea.”