Former community centre torched in arson attack
- Credit: Archant
Arsonists set fire to a former cinema and community centre in Littleport.
Firefighters from Littleport and Ely were called to the Regal, in Hempfield Road, shortly before 9am on Sunday.
The cause of the blaze is believed to be a chair which was set on fire by offenders between 8am and 9am.
Detective Constable Peter Ware said: “Thankfully no one was hurt, however this is a serious incident and members of the public should be reminded of the potential dangers fire can cause.
“I would appeal to anyone who may have seen this incident happen or anyone who may have been in the area at the time to pass on information.”
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “A fire broke out on the ground floor of a building that is under renovation and measured 15m by 30m. “Two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and used positive pressure ventilation fans to clear smoke from the property.”
The Regal is currently subject of a planning application, with the building’s owners looking to redevelop the site into homes.
- 1 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 2 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 3 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
An investigation revealed that the cause of the fire was deliberate.
Anyone with information should contact the police on 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.