Former Olympic high jumper raises the bar at Sir Harry Smith Community College, Whittlesey
OLYMPIC spirit arrived in Whittlesey today as one of Great Britain’s greatest high jumpers visited Sir Harry Smith Community College.
Double Olympian Brendan Reilly, who competed in 17 major championships in a career spanning 10 years, presented medallions to students in Year 8.
His visit was part of a celebration event held to mark the school’s completion of the Olympic-inspired ‘Be the Best you can Be!’ programme.
Becky Lee, Head of Year 8, said: “I was determined that our school would be one of the schools to undertake the Be the Best you can Be! programme.
“The inspiration offered by Olympians, Paralympians and high achievers who strive to achieve their dreams is incredibly powerful and can really reach out and engage our young people.
“I was pleased to welcome Brendan Reilly to close our programme.”
The programme, which was launched last year, helped youngsters set goals and discover the skills they need to follow their dreams.
- 1 Mini-convoy marks funeral of 'kind-hearted' lorry driver
- 2 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 3 He strangled Rikki, stripped him and left his body flat on his back, Old Bailey told
- 4 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 5 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 6 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
- 7 5 suspects identified from New Year's Eve attack
- 8 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 9 No balloons plea to death crash motorcycle tribute convoy
- 10 ‘It’s been a very special day’ - Mary marks 100th birthday