Former Olympic high jumper raises the bar at Sir Harry Smith Community College, Whittlesey
OLYMPIC spirit arrived in Whittlesey today as one of Great Britain’s greatest high jumpers visited Sir Harry Smith Community College.
Double Olympian Brendan Reilly, who competed in 17 major championships in a career spanning 10 years, presented medallions to students in Year 8.
His visit was part of a celebration event held to mark the school’s completion of the Olympic-inspired ‘Be the Best you can Be!’ programme.
Becky Lee, Head of Year 8, said: “I was determined that our school would be one of the schools to undertake the Be the Best you can Be! programme.
“The inspiration offered by Olympians, Paralympians and high achievers who strive to achieve their dreams is incredibly powerful and can really reach out and engage our young people.
You may also want to watch:
“I was pleased to welcome Brendan Reilly to close our programme.”
The programme, which was launched last year, helped youngsters set goals and discover the skills they need to follow their dreams.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November