Former Peterborough doctor pleads guilty to possession of 800,000 indecent images of children
- Credit: Archant
A fomer Peterborough doctor has pleaded guilty to seven charges relating to 800,000 indecent images of children.
Dr Michael Kennedy, 52, was arrested on March 17 this year after police received information that internet at an address in Peakirk, near Peterborough, was being used to download indecent images of children.
The address in St Pegas Road was identified as being that of Dr Michael Kennedy; a practicing doctor at Millfield Medical Centre in Peterborough.
A warrant was carried out Kennedy’s home address where he made admissions to possessing the images, as suspected. He was arrested and a number of electronic devices were seized.
More than 80 electronic devices have been examined which uncovered more than 800,000 indecent images.
You may also want to watch:
Following his arrest he was suspended from practising by the General Medical Council (GMC).
Yesterday Kennedy appeared at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court and pleaded guilty to one count of making category A indecent images of children, one count of making category B indecent images of children, one count of making category C indecent images of children, one count of possessing prohibited images of children, and three counts of possessing extreme pornographic images.
- 1 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 7 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 10 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
Of the indecent images of children, 2,002 were deemed to be category A, 6,737 category B and 839,349 category C – category A being the worst. There were 43 prohibited images of children, and a total of 478 extreme pornographic images in Kennedy’s possession.
Detective Sergeant James Weston, from the Paedophile Online Investigation Team (POLIT), said: “While there was no evidence of any contact offending, nor first-generation images; ones which Dr Kennedy had taken himself, or offending against any of his patients, it is clear from what was uncovered that Dr Kennedy has an unhealthy interest in indecent images of children and extreme pornography.”
Sentencing will be at Peterborough Crown Court at a later date which is yet to be confirmed.