Former professional heavyweight boxer Dermot Gascoyne runs workshop for Cromwell Community College students
- Credit: Archant
Former professional heavyweight boxer Dermot Gascoyne put Cromwell Community College students through their paces on Friday.
Gascoyne organised a series of team-building activities for sixth form students who form part of the college’s young leaders scheme. Once they have completed their mentoring training, they will be able to run sessions for younger pupils.
During his five year career, he picked up wins over British, Commonwealth and European Champions and was a sparring partner for Frank Bruno and Lennox Lewis.
Gascoyne, a Sky Sports Living For Sports mentor, said: “I believe that involvement in sport at any level has a positive impact on your overall health and wellbeing.
“Through sport people have an opportunity to engage with others as well as giving them the chance to achieve success.
You may also want to watch:
“I love working with young people. It means that I can pass on some of the values they need to develop and carve out successful and fulfilling lives.
“Sport has taught me the value of hard work, discipline, fairness and respect.”
- 1 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 2 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 3 Jail for pair who threatened group with sword
- 4 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 5 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 6 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 7 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 8 School ‘overwhelmed’ by response to harvest collection
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment