Wisbech Town Council to consider ‘robust versions’ of Union and St George’s flags following ‘tattered insult’ criticism by former town clerk
- Credit: Archant
Council leader Sam Hoy has moved swiftly to respond to criticism by a former town clerk of the state of St George’s flag over Wisbech council offices.
In a statement to last night’s town council meeting she said plans were in hand to consider buying “robust versions” of both the Union flag and St George’s flag.
She said: “I am proposing that the council discusses, at its next meeting, the whole situation, with a view to purchasing robust versions of appropriate flags and the most effective manner in which that could happen”.
Former town clerk Erbie Murat says the St George flag flying over the Wisbech council chamber is a ‘tattered insult’.
Mr Murat said: “This is the most dirty, tattered insult to St George that I, as a mere Turk, have seen anywhere in England since 1956, when I, as a little stranger came to this strange land.
You may also want to watch:
“What really surprises me is that the council just cannot seem to learn from experience – either fly the flag properly or not at all – only please try harder to get it right.”
Cllr Hoy said both she and the town clerk Terry Jordan were aware of Mr Murat’s criticism and other criticism on social media “and some action has been taken”.
- 1 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 5 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 6 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 9 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
She said: “The Union flag has been removed from one flag pole and attempts have been made to remove the St George’s flag from the other.
“In trying to remove that flag, it became tangled around the pole and is inaccessible without the use of a cherry picker.
“In addition, there is a feeling among some members and staff of the council that the current flagpoles may not really be fit for purpose.”
Mr Murat said: “Whenever there is a flag flying it must by law be in good condition. “If it is on a public building and the council decides to fly the St George flag it must also fly the Union flag. The Union flag must always be flown above any other flag.
“This time Wisbech Town Council is flying the St George flag without any consideration to flying the Union flag.”
He said he was surprised few had noticed “how dreadful the flag is or reported it”.
Mr Murat added: “I know that the mayor Steve Tierney, is busy with civic engagements, but truly the height of civic irresponsibility is to fly the wrong flag all tattered, filthy and torn.”