Former Walsoken teacher who is still affectionately remembered by her pupils dies aged 105
- Credit: Archant
A popular former teacher and dedicated churchgoer has died at the great age of 105.
Muriel Eva Lilley (known as Eva), who turned 105 on New Year’s Day, died on February 13 at Dove Court, Walsoken.
Miss Lilley ran a private school for four to eight year-olds in Tavistock Road and then moved it to Walsoken Rectory, which is now Turnpike Court, on the Norwich Road.
In 1960, following the sale of The Rectory by the church, she ran the school from her home at Lynn Road, Wisbech, until she retired in 1979.
At the retirement party held for her by her former pupils and parents of existing pupils she said she prided herself on giving her pupils a good basic groundwork in the 3 Rs.
You may also want to watch:
She added: “I have given my children something more than teaching. They learn such things as manners and consideration, which is something many children nowadays do not have.”
The affection in which she was held was demonstrated by the fact many of her former pupils attended her 100th birthday, which was held at Dove Court.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
Miss Lilley was a faithful worshipper at All Saints Church, Walsoken, where she was on the church council, superintendent of the St John Ambulance Cadets and secretary of the Mothers Union.
Her funeral will be held at All Saints Church, Walsoken, on March 6 at 10.30am.