Four community groups join up for celebration in Wisbech to commemorate their achievements
- Credit: Archant
A BIG crowd gathered in the sun-drenched garden at Community House in Wisbech to celebrate the achievements of four groups of volunteers and learners that have come together there since last September.
They enjoyed the fruits of all the groups’ efforts and pledged to carry on their good work.
The four groups, all part of the Reaching Everyone Around Community House (REACH) project, have brought together 40 people with different interests but a common goal: learning and developing new skills.
They have been established through a partnership comprising Fenland District Council’s Community House, Cambridgeshire County Council, Roddons and the College of West Anglia. The project has been funded by a government-backed initiative called the Community Learning Innovation Fund.
The four groups are:
You may also want to watch:
The Secret Garden group, who have developed the garden into a little oasis for the whole community. They have spent up to 20 hours each per week to develop an allotment, raised bed, hanging baskets and pretty borders.
The Reach Singers, who meet weekly to learn new songs and perform regularly at local events.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
The Budget recipe group, who share recipes, hints and tips and hone their skills in the kitchen at Community House.
The Fundraising group, who are always seeking donations from local organisations, are determined to raise enough money to be able to continue to run these successful projects now that the official funding has ended.
All their talents were on display at the celebration, with guests being treated to a charming performance by the Reach Singers while enjoying a delicious lunch created by the budget cooks, including fresh produce from the garden.