Four men arrested in Cornwall and a woman arrested in Surrey in connection with Cambridgeshire murder inquiry
- Credit: Archant
Five people were arrested yesterday – four men from Cornwell and a woman from Surrey- for the New Year’s Day murder of Jess Smith.
Mr Smith, 36, died of a shotgun injury to the back of his chest, an inquest was told this week. The hearing was opened and adjourned by the coroner David Morris.
The five arrested yesterday were detained on suspicion of murder and it brings the total number of arrests to six.
Mr Smith, 36, of Common Road, Potton, Bedfordshire, died following an incident in First Drove, Burwell, in the early hours of New Year’s Day.
Three of the men, aged 42, 17, and 19, were arrested in the Looe area of Cornwall at about 8pm; the fourth, aged 27, was arrested in the Redruth area of Cornwall, at about 2.30pm and the woman, aged 38, was arrested at an address in Chertsey, Surrey, at about 9.30pm.
A 57-year-old man from Burwell arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder and conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm earlier this week has been bailed until February 3.
The victim’s family have described him as a “good man”. They said: “Jess was a lovely husband and you couldn’t find a better father. He was a good man. We felt honoured to have him as the head of our family.”
- 1 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 4 Isabella, 10, impresses to win top prize ahead of Whittlesey Extravaganza
- 5 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 6 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 7 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 8 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 9 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 10 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks