Four year jail sentence for man who had sex with 12-year-old girl
- Credit: Archant
A MAN who had sex with a 12-year-old girl he met online has been jailed.
Leigh Arendse, 25, of Brunswick Park Road, London, arranged to meet up with the girl in Ely after meeting her in an online chat room.
He told her he was 20 and she had claimed to be 14 in their conversations, which moved to daily texting and phone calls.
They met on August 28, last year, at Ely railway station, before going back to her home where he hid in her bedroom.
He stayed hidden in the room until August 30. The victim tried to travel to London with Arendse but after discovering she was 12, he spoke to a ticket officer at King’s Cross and her mother was called.
You may also want to watch:
She told her mother that they had had sex.
Arendse was arrested and pleaded guilty to rape of a girl under 13. He was jailed for four years at Cambridge Crown Court on Monday (January 21).
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
He was also placed on the sex offenders’ register and given a sexual offences prevention order which bans him from: having unsupervised contact with children under 16; possessing any device capable of accessing the internet unless it retains and displays history; deleting such history.
Detective Constable Andy MacDonald said: “Arendse was clearly aware that the girl in this case was underage but continued his contact with her and arranged to meet up.
“He had plenty of opportunities to stop the relationship but choose to travel to Ely to meet her to have sex.
“This case shows the dangers of using online chat rooms and how easily perpetrators can gain the confidence of young people in order to exploit them.”