Gritters Spread Sheeran and Stephen Thawking to be out in full force across Cambridgeshire
- Credit: Archant
A new crew of gritters are in town including the Sheriff of Grittingham, Stephen Thawking, David Grittenborough and Spread Sheeran.
Cambridgeshire Highways' fleet of 37 gritters have been given fresh new names by pupils around the county who took part in the 'name the gritters' competition this autumn.
In October, Cambridgeshire Highways revealed Scotty's Little Salt Soldier was joining the gritting crew, named after the local charity Scotty's Little Soldiers - which supports children across the UK who have lost a parent who served in the British Armed Forces.
Following this, a county wide competition was launched in all primary schools to rename the rest of the fleet.
In total, Cambridgeshire Highways received more than 600 name suggestions from around 70 schools.
You may also want to watch:
The judges - made up of three road safety officers - had the task to choose the 36 winning names.
Cambridgeshire County Council's chair of the highways and infrastructure committee, Councillor Mathew Shuter, said: "Our gritters play an incredibly important role in keeping the main roads clear throughout the colder months.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
"This naming competition is part of our yearly engagement with schools on road safety, it is a fun, engaging way to familiarise children with the vehicles and their drivers and the fantastic job they do in all weather conditions day or night.
"There have been some real witty suggestions from our primary schools and choosing the winners was difficult, but we would like to thank all the children and their schools for taking part in the competition and we are looking forward to welcoming the winners at our depots to officially unveil the new names.
"Look out for Bear Grits, Alexander the Grit and Lord Saltimort and their crew as they hit our roads to help fight against any winter beasts that cross the county this winter."
The lucky winners will be invited to the official naming ceremonies which will take place at the county council highways depots in January.
They will also receive a road safety goodie bag and a picture with their named gritter.
The full list of winning names are:
Name of Gritter
Buzz Ice Year
Sheriff of Grittingham
Grityanna Jones and the Temple of Salt
Alfred the Gritter
Mr Snow Stopper