Friends don fancy dress for Dom as party raises �750 for his sister’s unborn baby
FRIENDS of a man killed in a Fenland road accident donned fancy dress for a memorial party which raised more than �750 for his sister’s unborn baby.
Dozens of people battled through the snow to fill The Sportsman, in Chatteris, and pay tribute to Dom Iliffe, who had been dubbed “the life of the party” by his friends.
Dom, 24, from Chatteris, and James Kiely, 27, from London, died in December after they were involved in a collision with a van as they walked home from a night out in March.
Friends planned the event to raise money for mum-to-be Abigail Iliffe - Dom’s sister and James’ girlfriend. Abigail attended the party alongside other family members while Dom’s other sister, Beth, travelled from France to pay her tribute.
Alex and Will Salter were part of the group that organised the fancy-dress party. The twins had been out in March with James and Dom on the night of the crash, but had decided to come home early.
You may also want to watch:
Alex, 24, said: “The party was a great success - apart from the snow which came down very heavily!
“We were very happy with how it went and we may look at doing something similar next year to raise a drink to our best mate.”
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
The Sportsman hosted the event free of charge and Peter Todd’s Karaoke Disco kept guests entertained.
Businesses donated raffle prizes, which included a �25 gift voucher for Abracadabra fancy dress shop in March and two buckets of flowers from the Skylark Garden Centre.
• Donations can still be made by contacting the party organisers on 07824363670.