Friends of March Railway Station scoop award for ‘exceptional team work’ and ‘adding life to the station’
- Credit: Archant
A group of March volunteers have won the ‘Best Adopter Group’ award at Abellio Greater Anglia’s 2015 Station Adopters Awards.
Adrian Sutterby, chairman of Friends of March Railway Station, collected the award with members of the team that support the station during a celebration event held in the Central Baptist Church in Chelmsford.
The group has spent the best part of four years refurbishing the old redundant refreshment rooms at March station to make them available for community use.
The group applied for a grant from The Railway Heritage Trust and managed the entire project themselves, uncovering some architectural gems along the way.
Andrew Goodrum, customer service director for Abellio, said: “They have demonstrated exceptional team work and work very hard to not only add life to the station but also to promote rail travel.”
You may also want to watch:
This year the group organised an event at the station which celebrated the 130th anniversary of Railway in March.
They opened up the heritage rooms to the public and provided entertainment and refreshments.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 7 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages