Friends of March Railway Station scoop award for ‘exceptional team work’ and ‘adding life to the station’
- Credit: Archant
A group of March volunteers have won the ‘Best Adopter Group’ award at Abellio Greater Anglia’s 2015 Station Adopters Awards.
Adrian Sutterby, chairman of Friends of March Railway Station, collected the award with members of the team that support the station during a celebration event held in the Central Baptist Church in Chelmsford.
The group has spent the best part of four years refurbishing the old redundant refreshment rooms at March station to make them available for community use.
The group applied for a grant from The Railway Heritage Trust and managed the entire project themselves, uncovering some architectural gems along the way.
Andrew Goodrum, customer service director for Abellio, said: “They have demonstrated exceptional team work and work very hard to not only add life to the station but also to promote rail travel.”
You may also want to watch:
This year the group organised an event at the station which celebrated the 130th anniversary of Railway in March.
They opened up the heritage rooms to the public and provided entertainment and refreshments.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s
- 2 Police forensics team begin search after death of woman in her 70s
- 3 Two boys, aged 12 and 14, arrested after 3am service station burglary
- 4 Dr Nik 'over the moon' after pulling off shock Labour victory
- 5 Villagers 'clap for Dr Nik' to celebrate mayoralty victory
- 6 Steve Count 'no doubt' Tories will review 'our performance' as his future is decided
- 7 Epic escape fail for ‘armed thieves’ who crashed car into ditch
- 8 Tory jubilation short-lived in Fenland as they lose control of county council
- 9 Prison sentence for man who brutally attacked his partner
- 10 Defeated mayor on 'incredible' and 'some truly awful' people he met