Fun for all the family at this year’s Wisbech Christmas lights switch on ceremony
HUNDREDS of new LED Christmas lights and an impressive 25-foot Christmas tree will add to the glitz of the occasion when Wisbech’s Christmas lights are switched on next Friday.
The Mayor, Councillor Vivien MacRae, is due to flick the switch on Friday November 30 at 6.30pm, after a full civic procession led by Vivien, the 1932 vintage fire engine.
Wisbech Town Council has added an extra �3,000 to its �10,000 budget this year – so the lights are expected to be even more spectacular as Wisbech is lit for the festive season,
Father Christmas, supported by Wisbech Lions, will accompany the Mayor, and the Wisbech Town Team has organised a Christmas movie countdown, snow machines, panto frolics, and traditional Christmas carols from 4.30pm.
The extravaganza of festivities captures the tradition and the excitement of Christmas for hundreds of children and their families, with thousands of visitors expected to join in the fun.
There will be a fairground set up in the Market Place in the afternoon with lots of rides and fun for all. Wisbech Lions will help Father Christmas hand out sweets to children from 6.30pm, kindly donated by Wisbech Lions. Free mince pies will be handed out to visitors, donated by Asda, the Co-op, Morrison’s, and Tesco.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Missing woman back home
- 3 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 4 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 5 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 6 Car travelled wrong way down A1 before triple fatal crash, say police
- 7 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 8 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim
- 9 Suspected poachers caught in farmyard raid as cops crackdown continues
- 10 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash