Fundraiser Debbie will carry a 14kg solider’s pack as she runs the French Riviera Marathon
A WEEKEND in the South of France may sound idyllic ... but for fundraiser Debbie Smith it’s bound to be a hard slog.
She will pound the roads from Nice to Cannes to run a marathon with a 14kg soldier’s pack on her back.
Debbie, 34, is setting off on Saturday to complete the French Riviera Marathon and expects to raise about �3,000 for Help for Heroes.
She has become a local co-ordinator for the charity that looks after injured service personnel.
Debbie said: “I had been training with a 20kg pack carried by male soldiers, but a trainer in Afghanistan advised me that such a weight could cause me injury, so I have cut my pack down to the size carried by women soldiers.
You may also want to watch:
“The pack I am carrying used to belong to a soldier who was injured in Afghanistan and lost both his legs.
“His wife lent me the pack ... she thinks I am mad.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 10 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
To sponsor Debbie, contact 07411 492700.