Fundraising page set up to support Wimblington family whose house was gutted by fire reaches £1,000
PUBLISHED: 10:35 08 December 2017 | UPDATED: 10:35 08 December 2017
An online fundraising page set up to help a family whose house was burnt down in Wimblington has raised over £1,000.
Kirsty Snell set up the JustGiving page to support the family after their home on Morley Way was gutted by a blaze on November 27.
The page has raised £1,075 in one week, and hopes to raise £20,000 overall.
Kirsty said: I’ve set up this page to help the most caring family possible. Their house was burnt down in a terrible fire that destroyed everything just before Christmas.
“Not only have they lost their most precious belongings, they can’t even afford to rebuild the family home due to no insurance and are relying on friends and family to house all five of them, including their two beautiful Labrador puppies.
“The money you will be providing will help towards the costs of making the house stable and eventually allowing the family to move back home.
“Please find it in your hearts to help these amazing people. Any contributions would be greatly received in helping a family at what should be a happy time of year.”
The homeowner thanked the local community for their support in the days following the fire. He said: “From the third minute of the blaze being discovered, everyone was safe, the rest is just material and with my family at risk, well I can replace bricks and mortar.”
He added: “I wouldn’t normally post on an open forum however, the outpouring of kind words and potential generosity from the community, I just want to thank you all, for everything.
“We are lucky enough to have a large pool of friends and family who are providing us with everything we need and are all well.
“Again thank you for everything everyone has said and done. We are not going anywhere and the bricks and mortar will be like new in six months.”
Nine fire crews were called to the fire that prompted numerous social media comments.
“I heard explosion from my house,” said one resident. “The flames were awful but all the people were outside.”
Fire chiefs say the cause of the blaze – that destroyed the roof of the detached house and nearby garages – is yet to be determined.
To donate, click here.