Furious about my name being used in letter about ‘free-loading immigrants’
I WISH to make clear that I am furious about the use of my name in UKIP candidate Alan Lay’s letter about “free-loading immigrants”.
I originally highlighted the serious risk to public safety of unlicensed, uninsured taxis and unregulated drivers, and how it affected businesses operating legally.
But Mr Lay has twisted my concerns into alarmist material intended as a direct provocation to the local immigrant population. He also implies I am personally supporting an imaginary “benefits-culture” lifestyle.
Liberal Democrats in Government are reforming welfare so the benefits system helps people get on in life, not become a way of life.
Locally, there are many problems affecting people in Wisbech, such as the dilapidated buildings, loss of jobs through business closures, high youth unemployment, our transport infrastructure needs upgrading deperately, I could go on.
You may also want to watch:
Stirring racial tension in our local community will do nothing to improve these issues which affect all Wisbech residents.
This cannot be tolerated under any circumstances.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 6 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
CLLR DAVE PATRICK
NE Cambs Lib Dems