GALLERIES: Fenland village ‘put on the map’ by scarecrow festival and fruit and veg show
THE organiser of a scarecrow festival and fruit fair and vegetable show says the events have helped put a Fenland village on the map.
Marie Humphrey was delighted with the public’s response to the fourth Gorefield Scarecrow Festival and 20th fruit fair and vegetable show.
‘Colourful creatures great and small’ was this year’s scarecrow theme with 28 stunning efforts being displayed around Gorefield in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s fruit and veg show at the village hall.
Gemma Hanslip, aged eight, from Upwell, was announced treasure hunt winner after taking part in a challenge along the scarecrow route over the August Bank Holiday.
Stuart and Sue Fisher’s ‘Noah’s Ark’ was voted best scarecrow design with Sam and Lily’s crow’s nest creation winning the children’s prize.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Humphrey said: “People from far and wide have travelled here to look at the scarecrows - that and our fruit fair and vegetable show really puts Gorefield on the map.
“It may have been our 20th fruit and veg show but it was the best one yet. The response of the public to both events has been brilliant. They love them.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 9 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Cheryl Ridley’s decorated cake was the overall winner of the fruit fair and vegetable show which also contained craft and art designs and photography.
Mrs Humphrey said plans had already been made for next year’s scarecrow festival with the theme set to be ‘Olympic Games and sport’.