GALLERIES: Fenland village ‘put on the map’ by scarecrow festival and fruit and veg show
THE organiser of a scarecrow festival and fruit fair and vegetable show says the events have helped put a Fenland village on the map.
Marie Humphrey was delighted with the public’s response to the fourth Gorefield Scarecrow Festival and 20th fruit fair and vegetable show.
‘Colourful creatures great and small’ was this year’s scarecrow theme with 28 stunning efforts being displayed around Gorefield in the weeks leading up to Saturday’s fruit and veg show at the village hall.
Gemma Hanslip, aged eight, from Upwell, was announced treasure hunt winner after taking part in a challenge along the scarecrow route over the August Bank Holiday.
Stuart and Sue Fisher’s ‘Noah’s Ark’ was voted best scarecrow design with Sam and Lily’s crow’s nest creation winning the children’s prize.
Mrs Humphrey said: “People from far and wide have travelled here to look at the scarecrows - that and our fruit fair and vegetable show really puts Gorefield on the map.
“It may have been our 20th fruit and veg show but it was the best one yet. The response of the public to both events has been brilliant. They love them.”
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 5 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 6 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 7 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 8 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 9 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 10 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
Cheryl Ridley’s decorated cake was the overall winner of the fruit fair and vegetable show which also contained craft and art designs and photography.
Mrs Humphrey said plans had already been made for next year’s scarecrow festival with the theme set to be ‘Olympic Games and sport’.