GALLERY: A house which boasts quality - the winner of 2012 Fenland Building Design Awards
IMAGINATIVE design won the day when this stunning home was chosen as the overall winner of the 2012 Fenland District Council/Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard Building Design Awards.
The home - 67A Elwyn Road, March, boasts quality in a prominent location - and next door to a house widely regarded as one of the finest in the town.
Judges unanimously voted 67a Elwyn Road as the overall winner which they felt had been imaginatively designed and built.
John Elworthy, editor of the Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard, said it had “a definite wow factor” and he said the house “simply lights up the street scene. It is magnificent.”
Owned by Kathleen Hubbard and designed by KL Elener Architectural Design, the home is in a prominent location set between two fine houses.
You may also want to watch:
Nominee and architect Ken Elener said: “The client’s desire was to build a home that would both enhance the street scene and be of sufficient quality to not be dwarfed by the adjacent 69 Elwyn Road, regarded as one of the finest homes in the town.
“We feel this has been achieved by the client’s eye for detail and her instance on quality.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 7 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 8 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 9 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 10 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
“I feel the dwelling sits comfortably in its surroundings and enhances the street scene and will do for a long while.”
The proposal was highly commended at the 2010 awards.
About 80 people attended the fifth Building Design Awards, held last Wednesday at the Boathouse Business Centre in Wisbech. Guests included designers, builders, home owners, sponsors, planning officials, councillors and staff from the Cambs Times/Wisbech Standard.
Mrs Hubbard’s home also won the award for Best New Dwelling (1-5 Dwellings).