GALLERY: Alan Titchmarsh helps to transform Wisbech home of former soldier who lost a leg in Afghanistan
- Credit: Archant
TV gardener Alan Titchmarsh has transformed the garden of a former Wisbech soldier who lost a leg on his last tour of Afghanistan.
The ITV Love Your Garden team spent five days in Barton Road working at home of Luke Simpson and his family.
Whilst the family were away, the crew moved in and their mission – which included a designer patio and a cottage style shed-, was accomplished. The show will air on August 12.
Mr Simpson was in the Royal Engineers when he was injured in an explosion three years ago and has had to rebuild his life and health with the support of his wife Jackie.
After the incident he was flown to a hospital in Birmingham where he had to have his left leg amputated.
A spokesman for the show said: “He’s always been a keen gardener but since the incident he’s struggled to get the head start he needs to create the cottage garden of his dreams. So Alan and the team rise to the challenge.”
The team spent long days working at the couple’s home and at night stayed at the Rose and Crown Hotel in Wisbech.
- 1 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 2 Head of sixth form at Sir Harry Smith ‘incredibly proud’ of students' A-level results
- 3 Florida Ice Effect phenomenon could put drivers at risk
- 4 Cyclists call bicycle plates and insurance 'unenforceable and unworkable'
- 5 Students in Cambridgeshire receive ‘fantastic’ A-level results
- 6 Ramsey fire-fighters refill Horse Pond with water to save fish
- 7 Charity needs over 200 more volunteer vaccinators across Cambridgeshire
- 8 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 9 Cambridgeshire students set to receive their A-level exam results
- 10 Obsessive stalker jailed for posting explicit photographs of his former partner
Love Your Garden was first broadcast in 2011 but since the second series has worked on transforming the gardens of people described as “deserving them the most”.
In the Wisbech episode Alan spent time filming at Peckover House and gave a master class on the rose.
Co presenter Frances Tophill reveals the key design elements for a cottage style garden, Katie Rushworth tells us how to make the most out of cut flowers, and David Domoney gives hints and tips on how to maintain the perfect lawn.