Gallery: Carnival day in Doddington hailed a great success
THIS year’s Doddington Carnival, run by a brand new committee, has been hailed a great success, with a fun packed day for all the village.
The event began with a procession of 12 floats and two marching bands, and villagers packed the streets to watch the colourful extravaganza tour the area.
With a theme of fairy tales, the morning procession included floats staged by a variety of village organisations. The Royal British Legion Band from Romford and the Norwich Samba Band provided some rousing music, and the local band Stanza were on a float. Carnival prince and princess Ethan Long and Kyanne Taylor Soham Majorettes and the cheerleaders Panther Poppets also took part in the procession, and later performed at the recreation field.
When the festivities moved to the sports ground, every child who ran a race was given a medal, and children from the floats were given certificates, all presented by North East Cambridgeshire MP Steve Barclay.
Stalls, bouncy castles, and arena performances ran all afternoon, alongside refreshment stalls and a penalty shoot out.
You may also want to watch:
Earlier in the week, the village had enjoyed a scarecrow competition, children’s posters were put up around the streets.
“It was a great success. I would like to thank the village for turning out to support us, and the team,” said Grant Barlow, chairman of the new carnival and sports committee. “It was a great pleasure to present this event.”
- 1 £100k homes scrapped 'with almost immediate effect' says Mayor
- 2 Murder suspect is victim's son
- 3 Woman, 78, suffers horrific injuries after e-scooter hit-and-run
- 4 Two men with links to Cottenham on 'most wanted' list
- 5 Fleeing heroin dealer rams police car but they get him in the end
- 6 Woman dies after being hit by lorry
- 7 Charity shop supervisor fraudster must pay back £2,550
- 8 Lorry driver loses control on motorway in booze-fuelled collision
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after death of woman in her 70s