GALLERY: Chatteris Bowls Club opens its doors to start the season
- Credit: Archant
Parliamentary candidate Steve Barclay was on hand to bowl the first wood at Chatteris Bowls Club’s opening day of the season.
Mr Barclay said a few words and joined members for the sausage and mash meal.
The event was also a chance for the prestigious club, which was formed in 1899, to welcome prospective members.
Club secretary Richard Davies said: “It was a very successful day - obviously the good weather helped.
“Mr Barclay bowled the first wood and made a speech where he praised all the work that goes on behind the scenes to make the club look how it did on the day.
You may also want to watch:
“He also said he would support us with our extension of the clubhouse.
“Then, there was an open drive where we welcomed a few prospective members.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
The club fields men’s and women’s teams in the Hunts league and has club nights on Tuesdays. To find out more, contact Richard at 07962 178474