GALLERY: City of Ely and District Horticultural Society Show attracts hundreds of exhibits and visitors
- Credit: Archant
HUNDREDS of visitors took a look at a fabulous array of fruit, vegetables and flowers at the weekend, as members of the City of Ely and District Horticultural Society showcased the results of their latest growing season.
The sports hall at the Paradise Centre in Ely was awash with colour and fragrance as 450 entries came under the judges’ scrutiny.
Show secretary Les Turner said: “We had an excellent show, well attended by the public and exhibitors.
“Although the number of flowers in the show was down - some chrysanthemums had not flowered in time - the standard of the vegetables and other items on show was very high.”
As well as the traditional flowers, fruit and vegetables, the show attracted a good number of entries in the home cooking and children’s classes.
You may also want to watch:
Among the trophies awarded was the new Albert Wesley Memorial Trophy. Albert was show secretary for more than 30 years, and the trophy was awarded for the best exhibit in the show, voted for my society members. The first recipient was David Latham of Ely for an outstanding orchid.
The Banksian Medal, for the most points awarded in the horticultural classes, was won by Peter Fisk of Bury St Edmunds.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 9 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
Show secretary Les Turner added: “The show was of a very high standard, and everyone can be proud of their efforts.”