GALLERY: Crews still monitoring fire at industrial estate in Whittlesey after wood chippings went up in flames
- Credit: Archant
A large quantity of wood chippings went up in flames at an industrial estate in Whittlesey on Saturday.
At 9.34 am, crews were called to a unit on Lattersey Hill Trading Estate in Benwick Road.
A large quantity of material, believed to be mainly wood chippings, was smouldering. There were about 3,500 tonnes of material on the site.
A small amount of smoke is still billowing from the site, prompting a warning to be issued to keep windows and doors closed.
Group Commander Alan Brown said: “A delicate firefighting operation has been taking place and we are closely monitoring the situation.
You may also want to watch:
“The fire in the unit continues to burn in a controlled way. Firefighters have been working throughout the night to monitor internal conditions of the warehouse and cool the material with water.
“Small amounts of steam and smoke still continue to issue. The plume is not harmful at current levels but our advice to any residents or local businesses, who are affected by the smoke, is to keep windows and doors closed.”
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 6 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 7 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 8 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 9 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire