GALLERY: Dickensian market for Fenland village brings together some real costume drama
WHAT do the donkeys at Hunstanton get for lunch? The answer being, of course, half an hour. Just like the rest of us.
And so began another hilarious moment in the day of events at Benwick featuring more than a dash of Dickensian fun and humour.
The donkey joke was among a battery of one liners fired at a warm natured audience by the Midwinter Mummers, one of many acts performing on the day.
There was Morris dancing, too, and regular performances throughout by Manea Silver Band.
Dickensian costume for stall holders and visitors remained optional- but for the former preferred.
“While Victorian dress is not mandatory, it is preferable and in the case of high demand for stalls, stalls will be allocated with a priority going to stall holders who are willing to dress in Victorian costume for the day,” stall holders were told.
Benwick Dickensian market is an annual event put on by the Benwick Residents’ association. The first market was held on in 2008 and has been run every year since.
- 1 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 2 Family escape 'devastating fire' that ripped through home
- 3 Leslie 'faster, fitter, happier' after losing 10 stone in four months
- 4 Family pleased with 'huge reaction' thanks to charity Christmas lights
- 5 Bus ‘wars', Aids, Ely parking and a ’vote for fen man – for fen people’
- 6 House fire that killed two children will not have further electrical checks
- 7 Tributes paid to 'beloved husband' killed crossing road
- 8 Rachael takes bronze at national hairdressing competition
- 9 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 10 Primary school plans for new town take step forward
Inside the pub – which acts as a focus for many events- Father Christmas took up residence in one corner.
In another room, and widely enjoyed, was Grymms World of Wonder- a bizarre but popular assortment of wacky and weird objects.