GALLERY: Dickensian market for Fenland village brings together some real costume drama
WHAT do the donkeys at Hunstanton get for lunch? The answer being, of course, half an hour. Just like the rest of us.
And so began another hilarious moment in the day of events at Benwick featuring more than a dash of Dickensian fun and humour.
The donkey joke was among a battery of one liners fired at a warm natured audience by the Midwinter Mummers, one of many acts performing on the day.
There was Morris dancing, too, and regular performances throughout by Manea Silver Band.
Dickensian costume for stall holders and visitors remained optional- but for the former preferred.
You may also want to watch:
“While Victorian dress is not mandatory, it is preferable and in the case of high demand for stalls, stalls will be allocated with a priority going to stall holders who are willing to dress in Victorian costume for the day,” stall holders were told.
Benwick Dickensian market is an annual event put on by the Benwick Residents’ association. The first market was held on in 2008 and has been run every year since.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
Inside the pub – which acts as a focus for many events- Father Christmas took up residence in one corner.
In another room, and widely enjoyed, was Grymms World of Wonder- a bizarre but popular assortment of wacky and weird objects.