GALLERY: Driving home the message of competitive fun at popular March car club
- Credit: Archant
A model car club in the Fens that boasts ex world champion racers is celebrating its 15th year with a growing membership and racers who come from all over the country to compete.
March Raceway was launched by Kevin Swann and has gone from a small track in an agricultural building to weekly meets at Westwood Junior school on one of the biggest tracks in the UK.
Racers come from Scotland, Grantham, Bedford and Ipswich to take part in the club nights which have developed a name for friendly, competitive fun and the only club in the country to hold weekly Rooky Banger races purely for children.
Treasurer Mark Hufford said: “We have developed a really good reputation. Our tracks is one of the longest in the country. It’s always a good atmosphere, we get fathers and sons racing and people build up great friendships.
“Everybody has a chance of winning, the aim is to compete but also have a good time,” he said.
You may also want to watch:
For around £100 a car can be picked up ready to race and in the club shop, which sells stuff at cost, spare parts and build your own kits are among the items that can be bought to get people up and running.
With the youngest racer at seven, the oldest in their seventies and members both male and female it is the sort of sport that can involve anybody, he added.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
For more information visit www.marchraceway.weebly.com.