GALLERY: First photos of Olympic and Strictly star Louis Smith dancing his way into Chatteris hearts
HE may have been in trouble with Strictly bosses for tweeting this week’s result 24 hours early, but crowds in Chatteris were in forgiving mood.
In fact the hundreds who turned up to clap, cheer and – in many instances- gasp at the visit of Louis Smith knew only one he was in town.
Enthusiastic supporters mobbed him whilst Louis delighted in his sudden popularity both from the Olympics and from his exploits on Strictly Come Dancing.
“It’s been a fantastic summer and there so much going on still going on- particularly on the dance floor,” he told he told the audience before officially opening a �1.2million leisure centre.
He was a guest of Fenland Council and gave his hosts an impromptu display of umbrella gymnastics in the middle of his visit.
You may also want to watch:
FULL STORY AND PHOTOS WILL BE ON LINE MONDAY AND A FULL REPORT IN THIS WEEK’S CAMBS TIMES.
For now here’s a taster of the Smith phenomenon brought to you by our photographer Steve Williams.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer