GALLERY: George is youngest contestant to reach finals week of Channel 4 show Countdown
- Credit: Archant
17 year old maths student is the youngest ever contestant to reach the semi finals of Channel 4 show Countdown.
Sir Harry Smith Community College sixth former George Ford, dazzled show hosts with his calm calculating on the numbers and words games to earn his place on the show after winning through eight heats.
He appeared in the semi finals today (Wednesday 17) but was beaten by 133 to 77 despite a well fought contest.
The grandson of Professor Brian Ford, of Eastrea, George is in his final year of studying maths, further maths and chemistry A Levels with plans to go to either Exeter or Durham University next year to study maths.
Head of sixth form Alison Brown said: “We had a party at school when he reached the semi finals. It’s been a delight to watch him grow. He has done fantastically well and has been very modest about his achievements.
You may also want to watch:
“He is a brilliant student, incredibly gifted, but he has also worked hard. He really deserves his success.”
he said show organisers told George he was the youngest contestant to reach the semi finals.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 5 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 10 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
George applied last year to get on the letters and numbers game and was fast-tracked on to the show so the episodes did not clash with his A-Levels.
Despite a few early nerves, he won six straight games.
Countdown is hosted by Nick Hewer from The Apprentice. It has Rachel Riley drawing the letters and numbers and Susie Dent in Dictionary Corner.