GALLERY: Gorefield offers up a cracking show to celebrate its 50th anniversary
THIS year not only celebrates the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the London Olympics, but also the Gorefield Country Show’s Golden Anniversary.
The Gorefield show began half a century ago years ago with a small gymkhana, but has since become very popular.
And to celebrate its 50th birthday the show held a party with ‘The John Noakes Experience’ playing live music throughout the day, a parade of classic cars and tractors as well as carriage driving and a fancy dress competition.
Other attractions included a falconry display in the main ring, a novelty dog show and a look back at Gorefield’s history with a memorabilia stand.
There was a range of side shows and country stalls while for the children there were swing boats, a tea-cup ride, a bouncy castle and athletic competitions with cash prizes. Drinks and deserts were also served.
You may also want to watch:
The show, which now qualifies for the British Show Pony Society, began at 8:00am with an expanded pony display before the Shires, Percherons and Suffolk Punch were exhibited at 9:30am.
Secretary Jo Mitchell said: “It was a great success. We were lucky the weather held up because on Friday it was very windy and we weren’t sure that it would be able to go ahead.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
“But it was a really wonderful day as soon as the sun came out and hundreds of people came along which was fantastic.
“There were lots of things for the public to do. The children really seemed to enjoy the sports competitions and the bouncy and the show itself was fantastic as always. “We even had a spitfire fly-past at 4pm and that was a truly remarkable sight!”