GALLERY: Landlord wins community praise for restoring pub to its original and well loved name
- Credit: Archant
It may have been transformed inside but it was the name change that won immediate praise.
For the Little London Inn, in March, previously known as Bar 23, has reverted back to its original name - The Men of March.
And both regulars and townsfolk couldn’t be happier.
Landlords Jo and Keith Foose closed the Wisbech Road pub for a week for a major refurbishment and promised a surprise when they re-opened.
Mrs Foose said: “The reaction was brilliant, there were people in tears who couldn’t believe it had gone back to what it was called.
You may also want to watch:
“We came here in February and kept hearing people question why it was changed in the first place as the names it had didn’t really seem relevant.
“We approached Marstons and after a bit of persuasion they did the work to get the name changed back to its original.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 7 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 8 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 9 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
- 10 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
“It was like Christmas Day down here, it was brilliant.”
The surprise naming was unveiled on Saturday and immediately drew 500 ‘likes’ on a local Facebook page.
“That is lovely Keith,” wrote one fan. “I’m afraid I remember the Men of March being built! Good to see the name back”.
Another said: “It was emotional to see the name Men of March back again as I have so many wonderful memories when my mum was a barmaid/ cleaner there.
“Good luck to all involved.”