GALLERY: Mayor of Ely on hand to open new supermarket
- Credit: © Tim George/ UNP 01274 412222
MORE than 200 shoppers queued outside the new Aldi store on Lisle Lane in Ely to get their hands on a ‘Golden Ticket’ before the store was officially opened by the Mayor of Ely Councillor Will Burton this morning.
To celebrate the grand opening, Aldi gave away balloons and food samples to customers, and the first 100 shoppers received ‘Golden Ticket’ prizes.
Mandy Briden took home the star prize of a 39 inch High Definition TV.
Store Manager Claire Chaplin said: “There was a fantastic buzz down at the store this morning and it was great to see so many people down here for our Golden Ticket opening event.
“I look forward to welcoming even more customers to our new store over the coming months.”
You may also want to watch:
The opening of the Ely store has created 20 jobs.
Aldi has plans to open shops this year in Bury St Edmunds and Bishops Stortford.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
- 10 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
The store opens on Monday to Saturday from 8am – 9pm and on Sunday from 10am-4pm.