GALLERY: Mother and young son too scared to walk through Wisbech cemetery after encounter with group of drunkards
- Credit: Archant
A MOTHER and her three-year-old son had a terrifying experience in a Wisbech cemetery when they came face to face with a group of drunkards.
Pam Thompson, 57, of Tydd St Giles, says her best friend Vanessa and her young son Oscar were strolling through Leverington Road Pocket Park last Thursday when they encountered five or six drunken people making lots of noise.
They fled the scene straight away and are too frightened to return to the cemetery.
She said: “My best friend Vanessa came here with her son Oscar because he is fascinated by zombies.
“They were walking through the cemetery and suddenly noticed five or six drunken people around who were making lots of noise.
You may also want to watch:
“They were so frightened they left straight away. She got home and called me and said if she yelled no one would have come. It must have been very intimidating.
“I’m a tough old bird but I know I would be too frightened to walk through the cemetery on my own and probably would not do it even if I was with my dog.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 5 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 6 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 7 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 8 Man found dead in March
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
The cemetery has become a popular place for people to meet up and drink heavily. The bins are rammed full of empty bottles of strong cider.
The fence at the entrance to the cemetery has been kicked down.
Ms Thompson, who runs an animal rescue centre, says the cemetery should be treated with more respect.
She said: “This is not right. This place is a little gem that everybody should be able to enjoy.
“I wish the people who drink here would show more respect for the dead.”