GALLERY: New moorings to be created in memory of the late Councillor Peter Skoulding
AN area of riverside land in March is to be turned into a new quayside for visiting boats, in memory of the late Councillor Peter Skoulding.
The land had originally been earmarked as a garden of remembrance for Cllr Skoulding - but his family is thrilled that the site will now welcome visitors to the town.
Cllr Skoulding’s son, Councillor Rob Skoulding, explained: “My father was a people person, and he would have been very happy for the land to have the buzz of activity on it. He used to do a lot of canoeing from the site in his younger years.”
The land, near the Marylebone Road footbridge to the park, has been let to the Middle Level Waterman’s Club. On Saturday a plaque was unveiled during a ceremony to mark the start of the project. The brickwork for the plinth was carried out by Poul Nielsen Bom.
Cllr Rob Skoulding said: “The new quayside will be good for tourism in the town. Two years ago the club had 100 boats visiting them for a special event. My father would have been pleased that the land will be used for water activities.
You may also want to watch:
“Saturday’s event included a barbecue and musical entertainment, it was nice to see visitors laughing and joking and being happy. The Waterman’s Club has already done a great job in clearing the site.”
Harbour master for the Waterman’s Club, Jeff Walters, said: “We are very grateful to the Skoulding family, and we hope the new moorings will be ready for next season.”
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 8 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges