GALLERY: Plans for 75,000sq ft Westry Retail Park go on display at consultation
- Credit: Archant
A 75,000 sq ft retail park has been proposed for the outskirts of March.
Developer Brossman Mills plans to submit an official application next month for Westry Retail Park on land opposite the KFC on the A141.
The plans are on display at The Oliver Cromwell Hotel until 8pm tonight.
If everything goes to plan, the retail park, which would create 150 jobs, would open in 2017.
A roundabout would be installed on the A141 at the Hostmoor Avenue junction to provide access to the site.
Karen Crowder-James, of Contour Planning, said the retail park would not infringe on town centre shops but instead attract national retailers to March.
She said: “There is definitely the capacity for this type of development in March.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
“We’re not trying to replace the independent businesses in the town centre. We believe it will attract national retailers to March.”
The proposal received the backing of one of the first residents to attend the consultation.
Trevor Collins said: “I think it’s a good idea. It’s on the outskirts of town, not in the town centre, and it will attract people to the area.”
However, Fenland Councillor Jan French was more sceptical about the plans.
“I’m surprised they haven’t looked at developing further along the A141 (between the roundabout and Gaul Road) rather than building on high quality agricultural land,” she said.
What do you make of the proposal? E-mail your views to email@example.com