GALLERY: Plans for Whittlesey Country Park progressing nicely
- Credit: Archant
Plans for a 59 acre country park in Whittlesey are moving forward.
The Whittlesey Country Park committee met on Monday and fielded questions from residents about their plans for the park, off Eastrea Road, which is the brainchild of local resident and benefactor Bruce Smith.
He has enlisted the support of Sainsbury’s, who have been given permission to build a store in Eastrea Road, for the project.
A total of £500,000 has been pledged by Mr Smith and Sainsbury’s to help with the running the park for 10 years. At that point, it is hoped the park will be self-sufficient.
Martin Whitwell, chairman of the Friends of Whittlesey Country Park, said the park is going to be a “fantastic” place the whole community will be able to enjoy.
You may also want to watch:
He said: “The meeting was very well attended and we are moving forward. We have a very committed group of people on the committee and we are very excited about the project.
“If we could start tomorrow we would but we have got to wait for Sainsbury’s to give us the go ahead. Credit to them, they have been fantastic and very supportive.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
“This is going to be a fantastic place for the people of Whittlesey and we hope it will be self-sufficient in 10 years.
“We are taking everybody’s good ideas on board about what the park should be like and will get a good balance.”
Residents can go to the Whittlesey Country Park Facebook page or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.