Gallery: Praise for bigger and better Wisbech Christmas lights as town is lit up
- Credit: Archant
Wisbech is sparkling this Christmas thanks to a host of new light displays around the town centre.
Around £19,000 has been spent on new lights to make the town brighter this festive season after a public vote backed town council plans to spend £30,000 on lighting Wisbech up for Christmas.
Timing of the vote meant there was not enough time to spend all the money this year, but Councillor Sam Hoy chairman of the town council’s event committee said the show will be even better in 2015.
Thousands of people packed the town centre for Sunday’s Christmas Lights Extravaganza which saw a host of live entertainment including a pantomime and music.
The Frozen Princesses were also in town for fans to enjoy a ‘photo-op’ with the popular Disney girls and Father Christmas was not only on hand to help light up the town but also to hear children’s wishes and hand out gifts.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Hoy praised everyone for the hardwork involved in creating the new light displays in time for the Sunday event and she said: “It was really successful, obviously the extra lights have given the town a real sparkle and there was also more entertainment than ever before. This year we have spent around £19,000 on the first phase of the new lights and next year the rest of the money will be spent to make the lights even better.”
Social media sites were full of praise for organisers and all the volunteers for making this year’s extravaganza bigger and better than ever.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
Annie Bird, wrote on Wisbech Discussion Forum: “I take my hat off to Wisbech last night for turning out in the droves. The tree was a big improvement on recent years and the dance school kids put on a fantastic show. My granddaughter had a lovely time watching it once she managed to push her way through the throng to the front and was able to view it. She also loved having her photo taken with the two princesses.”
Elizabeth McManus commented; “Lovely, well done everyone.”
And Barry Lansfield agreed saying: “It’s a fantastic evening and such a great turn our. Proud of our lovely town.”
While councillor Steve Tierney, who was among those helping out, said: “Some estimates reckon 2,500 people at Wisbech Christmas Lights Extravaganza tonight. Best turnout ever. Mood absolutely buzzing. Working our socks off but having great, great fun. Wisbech shining at its best.”