GALLERY: Rosmini Centre receives fact-finding visit from Euro MPs
- Credit: Archant
A FENLAND community centre which helps migrant workers was visited by a delegation of Euro MPs on Wednesday.
Cambridgeshire Euro MP Richard Howitt and a cross-party European Parliament delegation of MEPs from Germany, Poland and the UK, accompanied by specialists from Italy and Sweden, were shown around the Rosmini Centre, Wisbech.
They heard first hand from migrant workers from Latvia, Lithuania and Poland about abuses which occur in housing and employment and the solutions which are needed.
Labour’s Richard Howitt MEP said: “Wisbech has been at the epicentre of the impact of migration for our region and today is being shown as a leader internationally in what needs to happen, for example on tackling unscrupulous gangmasters who undercut local wages.
“Workers from abroad have brought a huge amount of benefits to the community by working in our local economy, especially on local farms and food processing factories but there have been abuses of housing and working conditions which must continue to be tackled for the benefit of all.”
You may also want to watch:
The Rosmini Centre runs activities and classes for all age groups with the aim of helping both new and established families settle in the area.
Last month it was handed a Queen’s Award for Voluntary Services - the group equivalent of an MBE.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 5 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 6 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 7 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Man found dead in March
- 10 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'